Sunday, May 21, 2017

Change the way you think.


The cause/effect relationship between the way we think and the outcomes we achieve is uncanny.   Paul understood this and wrote to the church in Rome...

"12 And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.  Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."  Romans 12.1,2  NLT

A "mind," even a poorly developed one, is a powerful force.  God blessed us all with beautiful minds; having been fashioned in His image gives us access to resources beyond the natural, built right into our DNA.  


Our minds are, of course, the most unique aspect of our beings.  So...what are you doing with yours?  It's "the first day of the rest of our lives," May 21, 2017--nearly at the mid-point of this year;  a wonderful moment to look back at what was, then gaze into the second half of the year at what might be.  


Here's a perpetual list I use to keep my life compass oriented, "true North." Quite frankly, this is a "three steps forward, two steps back" process much of the time; but even one step at a time is progress!   We are on the cusp of the half-way mark in the year; finish strong in 2017...

  • Have a systematic reading plan in God's Word.  Read slowly, reflect and journal impressions, insights and new understanding.  Memorize key parts the Scriptures.  
  • Go to and get out of bed earlier.  
  • Be active, body and mind, with the extra morning time.
  • Give up painful thinking.
  • Don't throw others "under the bus."
  • Refuse to think like a victim.
  • Seek balance in my life.
  • Look for the best in people.
  • Find ways to add value to the lives of others.
  • Give generously to a cause you feel great passion for.
  • Volunteer and serve in some fashion, some place.
  • Don't be a cynic.
  • Refuse to associate with negative people.
  • Spend time in dialogue with people who don't think like me.
  • Make the effort to grow my intellect and expand my perspective.
  • Transform obstacles into opportunities.
  • Begin something that makes me feel challenged.
  • Mentor someone younger and/or less experienced.
  • Find someone to mentor me; be accountable to someone.
  • Read and listen to good books that make me feel enriched.
  • Journal: keep it simple and short; then watch that discipline begin to expand.
  • Leverage the dearth of resources available on the Web.
  • Use technology in a way that prevents me from becoming its slave.
Finally, most significantly...
"...do JUSTICE,  love KINDNESS and walk HUMBLY with your God."  
                                           ....Micah 6.8  ESV

For me, it starts by asking God (again) to empower me to resolve and retool the way I think and as result, the way I experience life:

"Father in heaven give me clarity to know myself; give me desire to reflect Christ; give me discipline to lean-into You; give me focus to remain on task; give me wisdom to make 'best decisions.'" 

 Through Jesus Messiah, let it be. 



Life is fast.
Live it well...M6.8  

No comments: